Thursday, March 15, 2012

Surf, Sand, and Sun

Last night after the conference, a few colleagues and I (see my boss, Matt, below) went to a Brazilian barbecue restaurant (like Fogo de Chao). 

It's 18 hrs. later and I`m still full.  Not to mention my stomach really hasn't been feeling well since yesterday.  We tried to find a place to samba afterwards, but once we got there on a crazy van/bus it was closing at 1am. 

What's up with that?  We were in the Lapa part of Rio, and that reminded us a lot of NYC.  It was lively, but dirty and some areas smelled pretty bad.  The beach area reminds us of Miami. 

Lauren and I had to switch hotels last night, and we stayed at the JW Marriott on Copacabana Beach.  It's really been great.  Today was dedicated to the beach and the rooftop pool. 

It's been really windy, but incredibly sunny.  I just came inside to find red splotches where I should have reapplied sunscreen.  On the beach, there are vendors constantly walking up to people to sell scarves, hats, shirts, whistles, beer, cashews - you name it!  The sand is typical sand, nothing special, and the water is freezing!  The waves are big, and the water is clear blue.  There was even a rainbow over the ocean yesterday!

Lauren and I are about to head to the airport in an hour or so to catch our flight to Buenos Aires, Argentina.  Since they speak Portuguese here, we can't understand much of what's being said.  In Argentina though, they speak Spanish which will be helpful.  I'm excited to see another country in South America and hopefully learn to tango over the course of the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment